Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
    This is a thread about everything Windows 10! (and why you really shouldn't use it imo)
    Questions or topics that fall into the catch-all for this thread are

-Simple questions about how to use/configure W10

And here's some topics I'm going to talk about.

-Why is all my personal data being sent to Microsoft?
    -Why is all my bandwidth being used by Microsoft?
    -Why don't I have privacy anymore?
    -Why won't my free software devices and chinese clone devices work with Windows 10 and why are they (maybe) bricked?
    -Why won't my less than genuine software work anymore?

All of these questions are real problems with Windows 10, and should dissuade any user from installing and using Windows 10 until Microsoft steps back and fixes it to respect peoples' privacy and right to free (as in libre, not beer) software. As of late, there has been much controversy surrounding Windows 10 about all of the topics listed above, yet it hasn't been talked about at all and many casual computer users are buying into the hype, not realizing that they're signing away their right to privacy for so-called "convenience". One of the biggest controversies and problems with Windows 10 is the fact that in the EULA, Microsoft reserves the right to disable any pirated software and "illegal" devices. This may sound like a good thing, but in the actual EULA, it's so vaguely worded that it becomes a huge grey area that could potentially give Microsoft the power to disable any device or piece of software that doesn't conform to their requirements. If Microsoft decides to go Big Brother on us, it could quite literally be the death of 3rd party software, and possibly even Steam if they so desire. Microsoft already has plans to start their own digital distribution service, and has said that they could try and compete with Steam. Now obviously this is pretty far fetched, but it's a very real possibility. [source on illegal hardware] [source on digital distribution]

An even bigger issue is the fact that Microsoft has recently been rolling out updates to Windows 7 and 8/8.1 that slip in a small but, at the same time, very huge change to the core of Windows. This update changes Windows so that it spies on you for the supposed purpose of "convenience", when in reality it collects a large amount of personal data about what you do on your computer, what you have installed, what you type, etc. straight back to Redmond to be stored on Microsoft's servers. [source]

All in all, both of these topics should be a huge deterrent that makes you never want to use Windows 10 at all, at least until Microsoft stops acting like Big Brother and taking away our right to do what we as individuals want with our own devices. So, what do you think about these issues? Does it make you think twice about wanting to use Windows 10, or could you not care less about all this?

When I experimentally installed Windows 10 on my laptop a few weeks ago, it seemed fairly obvious that you could disallow Microsoft from using your personal data and network by unchecking 2 boxes in advanced setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    If Microsoft decides to go Big Brother on us, it could quite literally be the death of 3rd party software, and possibly even Steam if they so desire. Microsoft already has plans to start their own digital distribution service, and has said that they could try and compete with Steam. Now obviously this is pretty far fetched, but it's a very real possibility. [source on illegal hardware] [source on digital distribution]
    Microsoft has run into antitrust issues before, and doing anything resembling disallowing competitors software on Windows 10 will bring the mighty hammer of our current trigger-happy regulatory system. And long before that happens, the even more strict EU will levy huge penalties on MS. I'm running Windows 10, and after changing my privacy settings, I'm extremely happy with it.

But think about this from the average computer user's standpoint. They have no idea about any of the tactics Microsoft uses to shit on their privacy and freedom, and couldn't care less about it. The ones who disable those options are a very small minority compared to the people who just leave it on because they don't know how to turn it off or they just don't care.

honestly as long as you disable those options, i dont see an issue.

yes, those other mindless computer users dont know about it, but i really dont think its that big of a deal either. we are being tracked everyday already anyway.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    Ambrose Redmoon

It still doesn't mean it's right and that we should let it go on. The only way it'll stop is if everyone becomes informed about it and actually speaks up.

Forum Babus

Northern BC in a small town called Dawson Creek
    What is it MS even uses all the info for?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    What is it MS even uses all the info for?
    they like to put it off as "info used to improve your experience or the programs in general."
    Im not entirely sure tho. alot of companies sell your information to headhunters if theyre looking for employees and they really need to reach out. otherwise i have no clue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    Ambrose Redmoon

Quote Originally Posted by zeldster View Post
    doing anything resembling disallowing competitors software on Windows 10 will bring the mighty hammer of our current trigger-happy regulatory system. And long before that happens, the even more strict EU will levy huge penalties on MS.
    Well put, fine sir.
    I get the feeling that Elon Musk is a Martian that just really wants to go home...

Forum Babus
    The problem in this case is that Microsoft was able to skirt conglomerate laws, allowing them to dominate the GUI Operating System market. Not sure if you have noticed, but Microsoft released a publication stating that they will not provide update/security, etc. support for any PC running the new Intel chipset or the upcoming AMD chipset if these chips are being run on a Windows PC other than 10 (for home and small business that is). They've got everyone by the cajones here. It doesn't help that the 44th President signed measures into law that allow the intelligence community to actively spy and snoop on all American's PCs. Basically, the day and age of freely torrenting games, music, and software without worry of repercussion is coming to an end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast